- Eliminate the need to rock-paper-scissors who’s driving and stay awhile at your next wine tasting. Wineries across the country now offer boutique accommodation choices for those wanting to relax and take their time. With plenty of cosy and secluded options, they make for the perfect intimate, long-weekend getaway with a special someone. Take your pick from the range of luxury stays ahead, complete with saunas, fine-dining restaurants and romantic fire-side lounges.
- Boydell’s Camp, Hunter Valley, NSW Boydell’s Camp is opulent glamping at its absolute best. The recently opened cellar door and restaurant in the Hunter’s East Gresford features an indulgent African safari tent overlooking the historic vineyards and lush grazing paddocks on the Allyn River. Imported directly from Africa and decorated for the ultimate luxury getaway, the tent boasts a freestanding copper bath, timber flooring and a king-size bed. Accommodation packages include a gourmet barbecue dinner with Boydell’s wine pairing, locally sourced continental breakfast, a private farm tour and wine tasting.
- Longview Vineyard, Adelaide Hills, SA From king and spa suites for two to a lovingly restored homestead that sleeps up to 12, Longview Vineyard, located just outside of Macclesfield in the Adelaide Hills, has a variety of four-star accommodation options on its picturesque site. Take your time trying a selection of the wide-ranging collection – don’t miss their excellent nebbiolo or the story behind The Piece Project Shiraz – and follow your tasting with a meal at the cellar door.
- Seville Estate, Yarra Valley, VIC For modern luxury housed in a historic facade, look no further than Seville Estate’s newly restored 1975 family homestead in the Yarra Valley. Book in for a private dining experience in the bright and airy space, featuring a seasonal set menu with optional wine pairings, and then stay the night. As well as the homestead, there are deluxe apartments available vine-side, and each room has a king-size bed, ensuite bathroom, kitchen and private balcony.
- Sanctuary by Sirromet, Mount Cotton, QLD Sirromet may grow the fruit for its wines in Queensland’s Granite Belt, but its cellar door and accommodation options lie halfway between Brisbane and the Gold Coast, offering tastings, a choice of restaurants and extensive grounds. Take up a tour or tasting package, and then choose from one of the glam tenting pavilions at Sanctuary by Sirromet, including one that sleeps four.
- The Vineyard Retreat, McLaren Vale, SA Just a stone’s throw from some of the best cellar doors in the region, The Vineyard Retreat in McLaren Vale offers a range of premium, private accommodation options. Each self-contained suite features a different theme – from crisp, chic and modern to warm, elegant and welcoming. Enjoy the stunning vineyard vistas from the private deck or balcony, and warm up by the log fire after a fully-catered, gourmet breakfast. All visitors have access to an on-site concierge service.
- Polperro, Mornington Peninsula, VIC Ideal for couples, Polperro Winery in the Mornington Peninsula’s Red Hill is home to four inviting apartments, each with a fireplace, spa bath and deck with vineyard views – one also includes its own sauna. The accommodation completes the package, with Polperro’s single-vineyard wines on tasting at the cellar door and the restaurant serving up everything from innovative vegetable dishes with ingredients sourced from the garden to mains such as pork belly or barramundi.
- The Colony at Mandoon Estate, Swan Valley, WA Up the ante at the Swan Valley’s Mandoon Estate with the ultimate day out before retiring to your boutique accommodation at The Colony. Begin with a guided tasting in the cellar, then enjoy a chopper ride and return for a winery tour. A five-course wine-paired lunch follows, with dinner at the on-site brewery that night. You could also choose to wander the grounds at your leisure, discovering walking trails and the art gallery along the way.
The African Safari Tent at Boydell’s Camp. Image: Dominique Cherry
The interior of the Seville Estate Homestead. Image: Seville Estate
Cadole Avalon at The Vineyard Retreat in McLaren Vale. Image: The Vineyard Retreat
Top image credit: Dominique Cherry